Rahu and Ketu are the two shadow planets that play a significant role in an individual’s horoscope. The former is regarded as The Head and the latter is regarded as The Tail of a serpent. Together, they form various yoga among which KalaSarpa & KalaAmrita hold great importance. As per our observation, this yoga gives mixed result that includes good opportunities in one hand & hardships in the other hand. Besides, if the malefic effect is magnified in a horoscope then one suffers more hardship and struggle that develops severs depression & pessimistic nature in an individual. They get so dissatisfied with life that it becomes very difficult for them to enjoy good times / achievements. Kalasarpa Yoga which is also termed as Kalasarpa Dosha is a very unique concept mentioned in Vedic Astrology. It arises when all seven planets (Sun, Moon, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Mercury & Saturn) are posited in between Rahu & Ketu.
The story of Rahu & Ketu is very famous among the Hindus. Their origin is related to the time when Gods and Demons churned the Ocean to get many valuables as well as Amrit (Nectar). This episode is related to “Samudra Manthan”. When the Amrit was brought, the demons too wanted their share in it. One demon named Rahu, disguised in God’s form almost tasted it which made him immortal. However, the Sun and Moon discovered him as a demon. Coming to rescue, Lord Vishnu used The Sudarshan Chakra to eliminate him. However, it could only separate the head of the demon from its body. Since then, the head is known as Rahu and body is known as Ketu. It is also said that after this incident Rahu & Ketu’s enmity began with The Sun and Moon. They not only produced bad effects during eclipses but also in an individual’s horoscope. When Rahu / Ketu is posited with Sun or Moon, they cause severe damage to that house. However, if the conjunction has been posited in beneficial position then mixed result is expected.
Kalasarpa Yoga is formed under two different conditions. They are outlined below:
1. Kalasarpa Yoga: This yoga is formed when all the seven Planets are posited in between Rahu and Ketu. Kalasarpa yoga disturbs or almost damages other good yoga if present in the horoscope. Anybody affected by kalasarpa yoga faces a lot of problems until the age of 35. They face a lot of mental restlessness, depression, repeated failures and get instability in life. The dreams of snake or deceased people are very common for them. They also develop detachment from near and dear ones. Particularly, if one is continuing Rahu or Ketu Mahadasha (period) or Antardasha (sub-period), faces lot of hardship at workplace/ academic pursuits. The native develops discouragement, distrust, doubtful nature and low self esteem. One may even get addicted to intoxication, bad habits or involve in unlawful activities. Their close friends and relatives might deceive them. The native will face a lot of troubles and will have to strive hard to settle in the first half of his life.
As the coin has two sides, similarly, the analysis part also includes two views which help to form better predictions. The two views include the benefic and malefic part of the planets. If one of the planet is posited in benefic house, then mixed result is expected. In this yoga certain good things are also expected which may help the native to gain name, fame and prosperity. It is advisable that before forming a conclusion, the horoscope should be analysed from every corner. This is because misleading the client and pouring negativity won’t bring any help to anyone. The field of astrology should be treated as a medium to get solutions to solve problems and increase one’s positive spirit to a high level.
2. Kala Amrita yoga: This yoga is formed when all the seven planets are placed in between Ketu and Rahu. Very few lines have been spoken about the effects of kalaamrita yoga. This yoga brings mixed result which includes both good and bad. It awakens deep spirituality in an individual’s life. They are more attracted to spiritual life with growth. In this yoga, the mind faces severe restlessness, anxiety & depression.
Types of Kalasarpa Yoga
There are 12 types of Kalasarpa Yoga based on the positions of Rahu & Ketu. Each yoga is given a specific name in mythological scriptures.
1. Ananta Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in lagna and Ketu in seventh house, then this yoga is formed.
2. Kulika Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in second house and Ketu in eigth house, then this yoga is formed.
3. Vasuki Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in third house and Ketu in ninth house, then this yoga is formed.
4. Sankapala Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in fourth house and Ketu in tenth house then, this yoga is formed.
5. Padma Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in fifth house and Ketu in eleventh house, then this yoga is formed.
6. Mahapadma Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in sixth house and Ketu in twelfth house then, this yoga is formed.
7. Takshaka Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in seventh house and Ketu in first house, then this yoga is formed.
8. Karkodaka Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in eight house and Ketu in second house, then this yoga is formed.
9. Sankachuda Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in ninth house and Ketu in third house, then this yoga is formed.
10. Ghataka Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in tenth house and Ketu in fourth house, then this yoga is formed.
11. Vishadhara Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in eleventh house and Ketu in fifth house, then this yoga is formed.
12. Shesanaga Kalasarpa Yoga: If Rahu is in twelth house and Ketu in sixth house, then this yoga is formed.
It is to be noted that all the time Kalasarpa Yoga does not bring only failure and unhappiness. As practising astrologers, we have come across many Kalasarpa Yoga in different types of horoscopes which belongs to many reputed personalities of this society. Inspite of facing hardships and troubles, they have achieved remarkable position in the society. It is a request to our readers not to form any kind of negativity without obtaining proper knowledge about the above concept. God Bless!
Astrologer Dr. Gurudas Banerjee
Astrologer Mrs. Mona Banerjee